- Work with a small but dedicated team
- Broome based
- Full-time position
Rangelands NRM is a not–for-profit incorporated association which works with land managers, government and community groups who are interested in the sustainable use and management of the land.
Our NRM region covers more than 2.3 million square kilometres – approx 87% of the WA landmass and 75% of the WA coastline.
A rewarding opportunity is currently available for a highly-motivated, well respected and self-directed Project Officer, preferably based in Broome, working across the Kimberley and Pilbara of Western Australia rangelands. Responsible for managing the delivery of projects across the Kimberley and Pilbara, including for a key Industry Partner, the job would involve liaising with a number of Delivery Organisations to ensure projects are delivered on time and on budget. They will foster and maintain local and regional community relationship as well as look for new opportunities for NRM projects/partnerships.
This unique role will include an array of duties – primarily it will be about building industry capacity in the knowledge and use of sustainable pastoral management practises. These roles include Regional Landcare facilitation, using and adapting climate knowledge to assist pastoralists to make informed decisions as well as managing projects with key partners. Training will be provided to deliver a climate service to regions in northern Australia as part of the Northern Australia Climate Program (NACP). The role will also include working with one of our key Industry Partners to engage with its member pastoralists in the Kimberley to identify issues of concern to each owner/manager and to develop Innovation, Extension and Adoption property plans/strategies on a page as part of a broader Research and Development Project with Meat and Livestock Australia (MLA), the MLA Donor Company and DPIRD.
The key areas of responsibility for this role are:
- Support regional community-based groups and land managers to lead sustainable land management in the north.
- Development and management of projects including project plans, budgets, contracting, project liaison and reporting requirements.
- Work effectively with key Industry Partners to deliver specific project scopes and engage with their members effectively.
- Facilitate the provision of technical and other advice to the groups that will assist sustainable land management.
- Support groups to identify funding opportunities & seek funding and other resources to undertake projects.
- Communicate using workshops, one-on-one and digital methods.
- Facilitate and deliver climate information into pastoral management and ensure inclusion of climate risk management information into existing extension programs.
- Test and provide feedback on new climate products.
To be considered for this position you will need the following skills and experience.
- Degree in NRM or other relevant discipline or substantial experience in a field related to rangelands pastoral systems
- Knowledge of regional issues and threatening NRM processes
- Knowledge of issues relevant to the pastoral industry including in relation to research, development, innovation, extension and adoption
- Written and verbal communication skills of a high standard
- Ability to relate to, and communicate with a wide range of stakeholders
- Ability to use initiative and be self-motivated
- Computer skills, particularly with MS Office suite.
- Current WA Drivers Licence.
- Experience living or working in Remote or Northern Australia
- Experience in a Project Management Role
- Real passion and interest in climate information and adaption for change.
About the job
This is a full-time position, preferably located in Broome. Extensive remote and regional travel will be required, and occasional camping out may be necessary. At times you will be required to work outside of normal business hours.
This initial contract term is until June 2020. However, the contract term may be extended depending on funding.
How to apply
All applications, enquiries and requests for a job description should be sent to email@example.com
Applications should include a CV and a short summary addressing the selection criteria.
Applications close 10th December 2018.